Annex 4 to the Agreement
To the Cooperation Agreement entered into on August 2018
|Nr.||Activity name||Activity description|
|1.1.||Ensuring the achievement of project performance indicators||No less than once in 3 months the meeting of project executors will be organised, where the progress in project activities will be presented and future research activities will be discussed (including any corrections for work if necessary), scientific reports, participation in conferences and scientific publications will be planned as well as other publicity actions – popular science publications, participation in exhibitions, seminars with industry professionals, etc.|
|1.2.||Ensuring the scientific quality of project execution||No less than once in 3 months the scientific seminar of project executors will be organised, where current study’s results will be presented and discussed. The external experts will be invited to seminars if necessary as well as other persons, which are interested in topics under research, especially MSc and PhD students of UL.|
|1.3.||Preparation the mid-stage and final scientific reports||According to plan of project activities the midterm and final report will be prepared, where the project’s result indicators will be presented.|
|2.||Selection and preliminary study of numerical modelling and experimental alternatives for EM technologies||To clarify the further project’s activities the project team’s experience will be taken into account, as well as • analysis of literature will be performed in order to evaluate the possibilities of implementing and enhancing numerical models and experimental methods during the project period. • Analysis of the characteristic non-dimensional parameters will be performed with the aim to formulate the mathematical models, including the essential effects, and to select the most efficient numerical methods in order to study the following phenomena: 1) Dynamics and instabilities of liquid metal free surface, which interacts with non-steady external EM field. 2) Individual or collective gas bubble and liquid metal turbulent flows interaction with EM field 3) Liquid metal electro-vortical flow (which is caused by interaction between directly injected electrical current and its associated magnetic field)|
|5.||Improvement and approval of experimental techniques for laboratory scale experiments||Based on project activity no. 2, the appropriate experimental methods that will be used to achieve the results of the project will be adapted and tested. The corresponding laboratory scale experimental setups will be developed and measurement equipment will be prepared to perform test experiments. It is planned to use an ultrasonic Doppler probe, neutron radiography, free surface laser scanning, potential difference probe and other methods. The experimental equipment from Institute of Physics of UL and the Partner will be used. The specific measurements will be realized on the base of cooperation with research partners, which are not directly involved in current project – Institute of Electrotechnology of Leibniz University of Hannover (Germany) and Paul Sherrer Institute (Switzerland). One of the important aspects to be addressed is the improvement of experimental data processing algorithms. This is especially important for further development of dynamic neutron radiography techniques.|
|6.1.||Electroconductive liquid and its free surface dynamics in interaction with EM field||A laboratory-scale experimental device for investigating the interaction of high-frequency magnetic field with liquid metal will be created. The device will consist of a copper inductor with high frequency (in order of 10 kHz) current with water cooling. The liquid metal sample will be galinstan that is liquid at room temperature. The free surface deformations of the fluid and its dynamics will be studied with photo and video recordings, as well as with laser scanning. Free surface dynamics will be studied at various magnetic field frequencies and strengths. For the purposes of validating numerical models, the free surface shape and flow velocities near the surface will be compared between model and experiment.|
|6.2.||Liquid metal and gas bubble two phase flow interaction with EM field||A small lab-scale installation will be made in which gas bubbles will be introduced through liquid metal. The interaction of bubbles or their jets with static external magnetic field with different orientation (created by a specially made permanent magnet system) will be studied. The bubble visualization is planned by the dynamic neutron radiography method at PSI in Switzerland, where successful cooperation is already established.|
|6.3.||Electrovortex flows||A laboratory-scale, axially symmetrical electrovortex flow system will be created, whereby a direct current (I >1kA) in the volume of a liquid metal is injected through copper electrodes through the free surface. The electrodes will be water cooled. The flow, deformation of free surface and its instability will be studied. For validation purposes, between the numerical model and the experiment, the velocity at different points in the fluid volume will be compared. Experimental velocity will be measured by an optical fiber and an ultrasound probe.|
|9.||Verification of results for chosen complex models using industrial scale equipment prototypes||Measurements in industrial scale (with several tonnes of melting capacity) in direct current arc furnace prototype will be possible at the Partner's facilities. Magnetic field distribution in the vicinity of the plasma arc, the deformation of the free surface of the melt, temperature and velocities at the surface (the measurements in melt volume are limited by the high temperature) will be measured. Parallel to experimental measurements, numerical calculations will be made with the developed and tested models, studying the operation of the industrial prototype.|
|10.||Parametric studies of multiphysical interaction processes using the developed complex models and estimation of their limitations||The relationships between the relevant process control parameters and their characteristics, including non-dimensional criteria will be determined. Similarly, the critical values of these parameters will be clarified, with which the transition between different flow or free surface modes takes place. Conditions for appearance of instabilities due to various non-linear interactions will be evaluated. The limitations of the model physical and numerical applicability for the particular flow classes will be determined.|
|11.||Analysis and summarising of the project results||In each of the above project activities, where experiments or numerical calculations are carried out, data processing, visualization, result analysis and summarizing will be performed. These activities are required both for further studies and for preparation of presentations and publications, as well as reports of the project.|
|12.1.||Preparation of scientific papers for journals and conference proceedings, which are listed in Web of Science or SCOPUS databases||Original scientific articles on results, obtained in the project, will be prepared and published in scientific journals and proceedings that are listed in SCOPUS and Web of Science databases. Whereas procedure of publication in editions with high citation indexed may take several months, the article is considered as accepted for publishing after receiving the assurance from the publisher.|
|12.2.||Preparation of papers in journals with citation index at least 50% of the average citation index in the field||Original scientific papers will be prepared and published in journals with citation index at least 50% of the average citation index in field of research.|
|12.3.||Preparation of presentations for international conferences||The presentation (oral or poster) will be prepared for international scientific conferences. Part of conference papers will be published in the conference proceedings in paper or in electronic form.|
Work title: participation in the project activities No. 1., 2., 5., 6., 9., 10., 11., 12.
Partner: JSC “Latvo”
Justification: Scientific development of the research in the Project.
Overall objective of the work: Development of numerical modelling approaches to study complex multiphysical interactions in electromagnetic liquid metal technologies
1. Scientific management of project’s working group of JSC “Latvo”.
2. Participation in project’s meetings and seminars.
3. Preparation of planned project’s reports.
4. In-depth analysis of current engineering-technological state and experimental possibilities of MHD technologies under research in order to select potentially suitable solutions and their preliminary studies.
5. Experimental methods selection and their further development in order to perform model experiments, which are planned in the project.
6. Integration and approbation of necessary equipment for performance of experimental measurements which are planned in the project.
7. Experimental verification of numerical results, obtained with application of 3 different developed mathematical models, using laboratory scale set-ups as well as analysis of obtained results.
8. Experimental verification of complex models of multiphysical processes with application of industrial scale equipment prototypes, physical analysis of obtained results.
9. Evaluation of results, obtained using developed complex models, by means of comparison with analytical solutions as well as with available experimental data.
10. Summarizing of obtained research results.
11. Preparation of scientific publications and conference papers.
Activities to be performed by the Partner:
- No.1. “Project management”;
- No.1.1“Ensuring the achievement of project’s result indicators”;
- No. 1.2. “Ensuring the scientific quality of project execution”;
- No. 1.3. “Writing and submission of midterm and final scientific reports”;
- No. 2. “Selection and preliminary study of numerical modelling and experimental alternatives for EM technologies”;
- No. 5. “Improvement and approval of experimental techniques for laboratory scale experiments”;
- No. 6. “Experimental validation of the numerical models”;
- No. 6.1. “Electroconductive liquid and its free surface dynamics in interaction with EM field”;
- No. 6.2. “Liquid metal and gas bubble two phase flow interaction with EM field”;
- No. 6.3. “Electrovortical flows”;
- No. 9. “Verification of results for chosen complex models using industrial scale equipment prototypes”;
- No. 10. “Parametric studies of multiphysical interaction processes using the developed complex models and estimation of their limitations”;
- No. 11. “Analysis and summarising of the project results”;
- No. 12. “Preparation of conference presentations and publications”;
- No. 12.1. “Preparation of scientific papers for journals and conference proceedings, which are listed in Web of Science or SCOPUS databases”;
- No. 12.2. “Preparation of papers in journals with citation index at least 50% of the average citation index in the field”;
- No. 12.3. “Preparation of presentations for international conferences”.
Expected results of the work (in collaboration with Lead partner):
- Presentations at international conferences;
- Publications in journals or proceedings of conferences;
- Publications in journals or proceedings of conferences, listed in Web of Science or SCOPUS databases;
- Review of the analysis of literature corresponding to project topic;
- Report on improved experimental methods;
- Experimentally validated numerical models;
- An overview of the regularities in the investigated processes.